Friday, September 24, 2021

The New Jews and the Blind Bubby

18 Tishrei 5782
 

Today is a powerful day for the Eastman family. It is the 32nd anniversary of our geirut, our conversion to Judaism. A week from now, Avi and I will celebrate the anniversary of our chuppah, our Jewish wedding. This is a period of such sweet memories, all colored by the people who surrounded us. If I sit still with my eyes closed, I can see all of their faces, all of their smiles…



It is also the 19th anniversary of the passing of my dear Mama. Being the 19th year, both the lunar and solar calendars share the date. This would delight my mother. While she was not Jewish, she respected Jewish people and Jewish tradition.

One day when she was nearly blind but hadn’t yet been warned by the police that Reisterstown Road wasn’t a safe place for a blind lady alone – there had been officers keeping an eye on her to protect her for months – she was sitting in Dunkin’ Donuts, her usual hangout during her walkabout circuit. I can picture her smiling, listening to the chatter of people around her, sipping her sweetened coffee and nibbling the pastry that was slowly taking her from us…

At another table, a New York bubby was sitting with her grandsons. Mama loved accents just as I do, and enjoyed painting pictures of people using the colors in their voices. If she squinted, Mama could just make out the bright shapes on the boys’ dark yarmulkes.

“Bubby, what’s the bracha? I can’t remember the bracha,” said one little boy.

 “Don’t worry about the blessing,” responded the grandmother. “Your mother isn’t here right now.”

 To hear her tell it, you would think my mother actually flew from her chair to the family’s table. “Why are you trying to put a wedge between yourself and the boys’ mother?” she challenged. Yes, indeed, she did just that. And then my non-Jewish mother proceeded to remind the boys how to say “mezonos.”

 She didn’t make a friend that day, I am sure. And it was probably not as dramatic as she told it. My inclination toward storytelling comes from both my parents, after all. But sometimes one can admire those who have so little left to lose in the world that they can say whatever is in their hearts and minds, to remind the rest of us to build bridges rather than walls between ourselves and our families. Mama was a great bridge builder, and her children and grandchildren still balance upon that foundation to get to each other and to those who think differently.

 Mama, I hope you are still proud of all of us from your well-earned perch in Shamayim. I think you are. I can see your smile in each of your grandsons and in the faces of their beautiful Jewish children.


13 comments:

  1. Lovely Ruti! May her neshama have an aliya and you, a long, healthy and productive life of story telling and bridge building of your own! Proud and priviledged to know you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely comment, Miryam! Thank you. And may she who blesses be at least equally blessed!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for joining the Jewish people. We are better for it. And wow, what a soul your mother had!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always say the right things, dear friend. Thank you for being part of our journey. Oh, and Mama would have adored you!

      Delete
  3. What an immensely moving blogpost dear Ruti! It's no wonder that you are as incredible as you are with the Mama with whom you were blessed!! Additionally, that unique quality of 'bridge building' is quite evident in you yourself. Moreover, we are honored to have both you and Coach Eastman as siblings in Am Yisrael. I have no doubt that your dear Mom is looking down and getting IMMENSE joy from both you and the wonderful family that you have raised! May you both live and be well ad 120!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, and with you in the rest of our story with us, dear friend! So happy God has blessed us with such incredible teachers along our journey.

      Delete
  4. Dear Ruth & Avi: From the first time I met you, I was drawn to you both. You enrich the Jewish nation and help this land flourish. thank you for joining us on our incredible journey. I admire your mother for what she did...that has certainly been a source of strength for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ilene, dear, quiet queen of all that it means to be an activist for the Jewish people... we are here in part because you took a chance on us, believing in us when others might have missed our sincerity and our grit. Thank you so very much for your insight and your constant support.

      Delete
  5. Your mother sounds like a super special person.
    I'm sure she's very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that you speak of her in the present, Batya. It means a lot to me, as it causes me to see her smile. Thank you.

      Delete
  6. Wow! What a post!! So many lovely things going on here.....but I love love love the part about your sight-impaired non-Jewish mother jumping in, like "Super Savta" or some such superhero and telling those boys what bracha to make on their cookies......amazing!! I hope you're planning to write an autobiography, or a memoir, as you wish...and you'll know I'll jump to buy it ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Malka, your enthusiastic encouragement brings tears to my eyes. Yes, she was all that.

      Delete
  7. This touched my heart Ruti. How wonderful to have such a loving and supportive mother! As a Bubby, I am guilty of the opposite - teaching my secular grands the brachot. Ah, that is the way of the world!

    ReplyDelete