Thursday, December 19, 2013

Inaugural Post: For My Mama, a"h

Yom chamishi, 16 Tevet 5774.

Mama, in Washington DC, 1993
December is my mother's month.

She was born today, 76 years ago. Christmas was her favorite holiday, with Halloween a close second. (If you do not know me, and you are not a regular reader of my blogs, you will not have known that I was not born Jewish. Story later.) She was not religious, probably not even a Christian -- though she believed in God -- but she loved color and light and the kindness people dust off and bring out during this holiday season. She was a snowdrift and snowflake lover, with the good sense to know the value of a warm fire and a cup of mulled cider. She loved good food and good company. She knew a little bit about a lot of things, had a remarkable native wisdom, and a beautiful singing voice, which her grandchildren have inherited.

I have been writing since I was a child. I started blogging several years ago, mostly at Ki Yachol Nuchal!," all about making aliyah to Israel. It has been such a pleasure to write that blog, to explore, with you, my new life in this land. I have also written several posts for the Times of Israel, using the device "To my dear sons" -- advice about marriage and child-rearing, thinly disguised as advice for my children (so people would perhaps be less likely to think me pompous).

I have pretty much said what I needed to say in the first forum, and have felt a bit constrained by the latter. Lately I've been wanting to create a new blog, without boundaries, so I could say whatever is on my mind, without a specific format. If it gets too far afield, I suspect you will let me know.

This must have been around 1970, in California.

It mattered to me to have a starting date for this new project. I thought that honoring Mama would be a good beginning, as she was my beginning, and a good story in her own right. By honoring her, I also hope to honor my sisters and brother, who fulfilled her desire of absolutely being their own selves -- diametrically different, completely unique -- but tied together by a deep desire to continue as family, no matter what. She would have been proud, I think, of the way they and their children and their children are turning out. I know that I am.

She loved costumes and makeup. She also loved Purim!






Like the previous blogs, this blog will have stories unique to Israel, and advice about raising kids and staying happily married. I've lived more than a half a century, and I have learned some things; so it seems worthwhile to share. I have a ton to learn; and if you're with me on the journey, we can make discoveries together. Because there is no specific format, the stories and advice will have history and recipes and rages (no doubt) and maybe even a few things I've never been brave enough before to explore in written form: questions about God, about Judaism, about the philosophy of being human.

Please give me your bracha, your blessing, for success.

Mama's cane, and a photo of my son and his son, next to a photo of Mama and me.




Mama, my prayer is that we make you proud. You so deserve to be proud of your work in this world!

36 comments:

  1. You have my very best wishes for a happy and healthy blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited to see what comes from here Ruti! ברכה והצלחה!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were born to write dear.Just keep doing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From one who was born to write, this is indeed a precious compliment. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. What a pleasure to learn about your mom and about your own background.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ruti, congratulations on the new blog. It seems like a natural evolution for you and I know it's going to be a great read. I have also been thinking about returning to blogging, just trying to figure out my voice. I'm sure you will speak for me with many of your writings and views. Will look for your posts. (And I love the title!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baila, I know what you mean. I was trying for some time to ask the blog to morph into something else -- and my Mama's birthday gave me the impetus. May you find yours, as your writing has delighted me, and I miss it! BTW - you win the award for being the first person to mention the title. Glad you like it!

      Delete
  6. Ruti...Mazal-Tov on this new blog. May it be all that you are looking for........Just keep blogging..your words are wonderful...

    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Miriam, for your compliment, and for your insightful bracha!

      Delete
  7. B'hatzlachah! I look forward to reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mrs. S., for the bracha, and for reading!

      Delete
  8. Mazal tov! Beautiful. YOU are beautiful, inside, outside from the tips of your fingers outward. And what Rivkah L-A said. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YSRM: As I read your comment, I can see your smile, which often lights my writing. Thank you, lovely friend.

      Delete
  9. Always beautiful, always inspiring! May HaShem bless you with plenty of good material. B'Hatzlacha! I'll be reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AMEN! Thank you, Miryam, for your beautiful bracha, and for being a faithful reader and friend.

      Delete
  10. B'hatzlacha. Beautiful writing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hatzlacha! you have so much love and wisdom to shar! am sure it will be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your bracha, for your kind words, and for your confidence!

      Delete
  12. Wunderschön, nd mazel tov on the inauguration of your new blog site Ruti, and you are quite right, you are never ruthless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Schönen Dank, dear Schtark, for the support, and for appreciating the play on words.

      Delete
  13. Very poetic and poignant writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When a poetic and poignant writer gives such a compliment, it sings. Thank you, Yaelle.

      Delete
  14. HI Ruti, Lovely that you have birthed another "baby"! Please keep me subscribed. I love hearing about your life and thoughts. With love from Coneysthorpe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me smile that you are still out there reading, dear Jane. Thank you for being there.

      Delete
  15. How sweet and special. Please keep me on all your blog lists, dear Ruti. Seeing your email coming in always brings a smile. And if at any point my inbox is too full, I know where the delete button is. (My kids showed me.) Wishing you many wonderful posts in good health for many, many years to come. Shprintz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank God for our children, eh, Shprintz? They carry us into the modern age. Thank you for your lovely words, and for your friendship. Amen to your bracha -- and back atcha!

      Delete
  16. Wonderful, Ruti. I look forward to reading more from such a talented writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. Comments like that are what keep people writing! :-)

      Delete
  17. lovely Ruti
    It's obvious you had a good mother, because you are so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete