Monday, November 27, 2017

Angel, Breaking with Just a Smile

9 Kislev 5778.

Yesterday, my eldest grandchild turned 18.

I have lived long enough to have a third generation reach adulthood. It boggles the mind.

This is a love song to my Lily, whose existence is a miracle, even more than every child is a miracle, whose birth brought closer hearts separated by misfortune, bad choices, gulfs of continents and seas and cultures.

Lily, you make everyone who meets you smile. You have brought out the best in people who may have remained ordinary, and brought out the magic in people who are trying their best to save the world, one child at a time.

You're in the process of making a little brother an even better and finer and more sensitive super-hero than he would have been without you. (No doubt, the baby brother will gain from these lessons as well.)
You have caused two excellent people to become monumental, in my eyes, in their binding together a nest to hold you and your brothers. Even when that nest got tested by your teenagerness, which you surprisingly couldn't avoid. Like getting wrinkles and pimples at the same time, one would have thought you would be immune, but no.

None of us knows how much light you have to add to this tragic little world, nor for how long.

But your distant grandmother wishes for you and for all of us who love you that your light will shine and continue to refine all of us.

Thank you for coming into my life, little person, little hummer of ancient songs. I love you.

"...Darling Lily, is an angel from Heaven
Come to see us a little while
Stage door Johnnies wait for her
Our voices encore her
They just adore her style

Darling Lily, doesn't dream of the heart
She keeps on breaking with just a smile..."

from the song by Henry Mancini

18 comments:

  1. Bli eyin haraa, what a sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful sentiments. Happy Birthday to your Lilly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's a beauty as seen through your eyes. Happy Birthday, Lily May your light always shine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AMEN! She is indeed a beauty. With some people, the eyes tell all. With Lily, it's her smile.

      Delete
  4. Kol hakavod to Lily's parents who have raised such a precious soul, and to the grandparents who raised such children as Lily's parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lily's parents have awed me for all their years together.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful, precious treasure! May Lily's light shine and elevate all within her reach until 120! Happy Birthday, sweet one!!! Another gorgeous post, Ruti. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How I love your brachot, Tante Shalomis! Amen! Thank you, as always, for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  6. I learn something new and wonderful about you in every post, dear Ruti. Thank you for reminding me yet again that we never know what's going on in another person's life - and therefore must treat everyone we know or meet with kindness and compassion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, always a good reminder for me, too, darling Shprintz. I often say of difficult people, "He might be one of the lamed-vavnikim," or "What if she is Mashiach?" So much more so "perfect neshamot" like Lily! And thank you for reminding me with your tender comment that everyone has a back-story... and even seemingly "ordinary" people might need a smile or a virtual hug today.

      Delete
    2. Hi Ruti, I am so happy Batya posted this article about you and your book. It will be on my "to read" collection. Your book will be 4th in line. I too am a convert (14 years this Shavous). I like your statement "What if she is Moshiach" It made me smile. By the way, we all have a spark of Moshiach. Take the 1st and last initial of Avraham, Sarah, and Zahava (which is my name...I use the yidishe name of Goldie on social media)alef,mem,sin,hei,zyain,hei equals 358 MOSHIACH. Do visit the side bar and click the square with my husband's name, my name, and our son Yosef (diagonally you will see YKVK) I will be adding more yummy finds Hashem showed me in the blogpost that shows when you click the name square. Glad to have found you thanks to Batya!

      Delete
    3. Mazal tov, Goldie, on your upcoming "rebirthday"! I like your "spark of Moshiach" idea. May we and our families be zoche to welcome Moshiach, whoever she or he may be! ;-)

      Delete
  7. WOW!! Ruti,you always have such a beautiful way of seeing your world! May you continue to always have an ayin tova! Happy Birthday, Lily!! May she continue to grow up and bring you and her parents and herself much happiness and goodness!
    Kol Tuv,
    Elka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AMEN! Thank you, dear Elka! What a lovely bracha!

      Delete